Sunday, January 17, 2010

If I could go back in time to when I received Joey's Diagnosis

The question was recently posed to me...If I could go back in time to when I received Joey's diagnosis what would I tell myself? I had never really thought about that before. Anyway, I thought I would share my answer...maybe someone who is about to have a baby with Ds will see it and will be encouraged by it.

Me then (three weeks before I went into labor)...

If I could go back in time to when I received Joey's diagnosis I would tell myself first and foremost that everything is going to be ok. Do not to try and worry about his future, developmental milestones or anything other than getting to know and love this baby. I just remember my mind racing and jumping to various things and trying to worry about everything at once. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to stop, and just take him in. Look at his little fingers, his little toes, those eyes looking into my eyes and searching my soul and stop trying to worry about next week, next month, next year—you would not do that with any other baby. I would tell myself just focus on the fact that he is a baby first, your baby, and although he may have some health issues, he is just like other babies in every other way. He eats, sleeps, cries (ok, not Joey), poops and needs your love.

I would also tell myself not to worry about other what friends and family might think about him and not to worry that they will not love him as much because of the Down syndrome. Such concerns are so unfounded. Your family and friends will love him just the same as they would have if he had not had Down syndrome. In fact the family, friends and acquaintances that matter will rise to the occasion. They will want to learn about Down syndrome and may even take even more interest in him than they would have otherwise. We will make new friends, friends we know that will be with us for life, who share the common bond of having a baby with Ds. These friends understand our fears and concerns and they will be there for us to give us the emotional support and wisdom we need to raise this baby. Lastly I would assure myself that God would not have given us Joey if we could not handle it. We were chosen for this baby because we can and will be good parents to him. I would remind myself that as with any other challenge in life, you will find the strength you need to deal with anything that comes your way. And again everything IS going to be ok.
The night Joey was born...
A week later...

Still cannot believe it has almost been a year! I feel like we have learned so much this year.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great post and WOW has he changed in a year! Love the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Cori. So glad to know you guys and it's been fun watching Joey change so much this past year. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it :)

    and HOLY COW... I had no idea Joey could be that small ;-)

    ReplyDelete